incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept project Buildr for incubation
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 03:26:08 GMT
On 10/29/07, Noel J. Bergman <> wrote:
> +1
> For what it is worth, I heard a lot of comments about buildr at a
> developer
> conference last week, and the general consensus seemed to be that it
> should
> ditch Ruby/Rake, and be rewritten to use Groovy.  Java developers, it was
> widely claimed, don't want to have to install Ruby in order to do Java
> development.

For the Java runtime aspect of it, we've been thinking of JRuby. There are
still a couple of hurdles but JRuby is maturing quickly and it should very
soon be good enough to run Buildr (for the curious, the problem is actually
needles). But performance is still and I think will remain an issue: when
you've experienced the instantaneous startup of CRuby, the JVM feels pretty
slow to load. But that's a trade-off and JRuby support will probably make a
lot of people happy.

As for Groovy vs. JRuby, language wars... :)

        --- Noel