incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Diversity requirement
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:34:10 GMT

> ...if
> we explicitly try to *limit* participation in a project then we are doing
> two things:
> 1. Discouraging involvement - the opposite of the aim of the incubator
> 2. Ruling out meritocracy - making it harder for some people to become
> committers than others - the opposite of the aim of the ASF....

I tend to agree to your view, but I don't get point 2 above.

Getting committership when a new incubating project comes is makes it
*very easy* for people to become ASF committers: they basically just
have to be on the list of initial committers. And they stay there even
if they do nothing for the project.

By limiting the number of committers from the same organization when a
project enter incubation, we might force the organization to select
the best people to drive the project, and others would have to enter
the normal way, with the project's mentors having their say.

It does make it harder for those people excluded from the initial list
to enter the project, but not harder than for any other potential
committer. So I would think that's fair, and that might help community
diversity in incubating projects, even if that means a longer
incubation time.

That limit might also be a ratio: if a projects enters incubation with
10 committers from the same company and 10 independent existing apache
committers, fine. But a large non-diverse list of initial committers
sounds wrong to me.

-Bertrand