incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache RAT
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:21:07 GMT
Hey,

> Can anybody give me guidance on how unique names need to be? For

My take on it (IANAL) is that uniqueness doesn't matter.  In fact,
that's why there's already N>1 projects named "Composer" as you noted
in your example.  Project name uniqueness should not be a criterion
for Incubator acceptance.  I would even go further and say clear
copyright infringement is probably the only reason to ask for a name
change.  Otherwise, let the project's PMC decide.

Sometimes it's useful to let the PMC know there are other names, and
they might consider uniqueness as a marketing tactic or a
differentiator.  But that's just advice, not a reason to vote -1.

Anyhow, that's my personal take on it.  I like to be permissive in
these sort of artistic expression issues.

Yoav