incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Guillaume Nodet" <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graduation: how do we check "three or more independent committers" ?
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:22:23 GMT
Well, 4 committers with 2 from the same organization: you still have 3
organizations involved.   I think 3 is not that big a number:
committers do not have to be full time employee, and level of activity
may vary greatly between committers if some are full time employee and
others work on their spare time.  But having 3 or more independant
committers is also a result of the openness of the project.
I know that when you have a bunch of full time employee devoted to a
project, it's much more difficult to attract new committers, but
still...

On 10/16/07, Matthieu Riou <matthieu@offthelip.org> wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/13/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Do we have a solid process for checking this?
> > >
> > > I'm not sure we do - each project's status page (like [1] for example)
> > > contains the "Are there three or more independent committers?"
> > > question, but unless I'm missing something we don't have a defined way
> > > of checking this.
> > >
> > > The simplest way to fix this might be to include, in the graduation
> > > vote requests, the list of active committers and affiliations, so that
> > > people can check it if they want.
> >
> > sounds like a reasonable approach
>

> As I mentioned in another thread I'm not so big on this rule. Having a fixed
> number is IMHO a bit too rigid. Do we forbid graduation for a project with 4
> active committers among which 2 are in the same company? How the project
> deals with its governance (are the independent committers opinion taken into
> account? are they ignored?) is, I think, more important. Am I the only one
> to think that way?
>
> That being said, having the list of active committers with affiliations in
> the graduation vote request would be helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> Matthieu
>
> - robert

Cheers,