incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] graduate stdcxx to TLP
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:28:59 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> RAT is a later addition to their tool kit

RAT is a tool that attempts to verify compliance.  The things to which RAT verifies compliance
are not new, even if RAT is new relative to stdcxx coming into the Incubator.

I feel that we start down a slippery slope when we graduate projects which are "not yet" compliant,
but "will be".  When?  Craig points out that it has been some months since the issue was raised
by you, and it is still not resolved.  Hence:

> > Is there some reason, other than the fact that this is the weekend before
> > the Board meeting, why this should not simply be fixed?  Is there a race
> > that needs to be won?  Is November so much worse than October?

To which I didn't see you post a dissenting opinion.  Seriously, it is so much to ask that
the licensing header be updated, if that's all it is?

> > So primarily still RogueWave, but you feel that they are open
> > to others, and just have rather minimal diversity at this time?

> Yes; and as the incubator has dropped our standards for diversity far
> below what I would consider 'success', but stdcxx certainly *meets* our
> current bar.

If that is the case, fine.  And I am concerned about diversity as a general topic, not limited
to any particular project.  Not so much in terms of the openness of a given community, but
in terms of reliance on corporate backing.  The less diversity, the more vulnerable to the
withdraw of a single corporate entity.

Again, I asked the diversity question because it has been an issue, and I did not see it addressed.
 But that's not the one I consider a blocker.

	--- Noel