incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject JIRA setup: groups or roles
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:11:52 GMT
Hi Hen,

Thanks for the comments.

I'm sending this issue back to the incubator, having determined that
there's nothing confidential and the incubator might be the better
place to continue (or close) the discussion. Also changing the subject.

I'll try to remove all of the groups that I know of, related to
projects that I can fix, and add or update project roles.

Perhaps this would be a good thing for an incubator guide, since most
jira projects now are established in the incubator.

Craig

On Oct 27, 2007, at 2:54 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 10/23/07, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi Henri,
>>
>> Well, I'm somewhat confused as to best practice with regard to JIRA
>> projects at Apache.
>
> Sorry about the delayed reply. I deleted the comment I'd made to that
> issue because it seemed that things were setup correctly.
>
>> I see both jira groups and roles being used and to an outsider it
>> appears random. I'm an administrator for JIRA (mostly just try to fix
>> a small number of projects) and maybe I need some training.
>
> Basic one is:
>
> If a group only has one project, then it should not exist. Instead the
> project should be handled using project roles so that members of the
> project can handle the basic administration.
>
> If the group has multiple projects, then it should use the main
> permission system. I spent a good chunk of time rolling all of the
> Commons ones back to using a group because roles just weren't working
> for us.
>
>> Has anyone proposed a JIRA administrator's lecture at an upcoming
>> ApacheCon? 10 things you need to know about administering JIRA at
>> Apache kind of thing.
>
> Tempting.
>
> Step 1) Remove all admins
> Step 2) Add admins back if they show up ;)
>
> With roles in place, the majority of our admins shouldn't need to
> be admins.
>
> Hen

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com