incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache RAT
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:37:24 GMT

On Oct 23, 2007, at 3:59 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RatProposal has been stable for a
> while now so i'd like to throw it open to final scrutiny before i call
> for a VOTE. (please don't vote yet ;-)
>
> the name "RAT" has been discussed previously - see
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
> 200710.mbox/%
> 3cf470f68e0710031036x78001782u8ab12b6d61fde674@mail.gmail.com%3e.
> RAT is a good name and popular but i'm still a little concerned that
> there are existing open source projects named RAT as well as
> commercial software containing RAT in their name. Apache aRAT has the
> advantage of being unused but the disadvantage of being a common name
> in some other languages. if anyone strongly disagrees with the
> consensus that RAT is ok and prefers aRAT please jump in now.

Looks good to me.

As a RAT user, I look forward to improved RAT capabilities. There's
the other side of the coin which I think communities need help with
-- and that's tools to help simplify the building of legally
compliant distributions. There's been some work with the maven-remote-
resources-plugin, but that's fodder for another conversation...

I like the name RAT.

Can anybody give me guidance on how unique names need to be? For
instance there's currently a vote to accept 'Apache Composer'. A
simple search on 'composer open source' turns up a number of open
source projects with 'composer' in their name (Violet Composer,
Mozilla Composer, Eclipse EPF Composer). Should I have been more
diligent in reviewing the Composer proposal? By comparison, RAT looks
more unique...

--kevan