incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <p...@thoughtworks.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Composer in the Incubator
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 02:19:52 GMT
Well I'm back from vacation :)

The discussion was almost entirely done off-list.  First Jason and I
kicking the tires of the idea, then with respective co-leads,
committers etc.  It was pretty extensive.

Why secret ?  PicoContainer and Plexus are two containers in a field
that is quite full them.  Spring Framework dominates, Guice (very
very similar to PicoContainer's traditional ideals, but three years
later) has the magic Google brand that makes it very successful.  We
wanted to define our fate in private without bloggers pitching in
with "Pico is crap compared to Spring", or "Pico is a cheap copy of
Guice" (etc, etc).

Of course we're aware that the Apache way is not off-list activity,
so consider it the last hurrah of the despot models for Pico/Plexus....

- Paul