incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:06:12 GMT
On Oct 13, 2007, at 10:07 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Ant,
>
> Are there any issues that should be pointed out, such as the
> (hopefully)
> mechanical licensing header issue in stdcxx, or community
> diversity, which
> at least in part is measuring independence from corporate backing
> (a popular
> thread this past month)?  It seems that the latter should be well
> in hand,
> but I'll not assume.  :-)

Noel

I've expressed some concern before about diversity and independence
[1]. At the time, 11 out of 12 members proposed for the TLP's PMC
worked for a single organization. Since then, a couple more people
have been added but the ratio is still 13 out of 16. Yes, there are 3
organizations represented but control still lies with one bloc.

The project has voted in 19 new committers, but 12 of those work for
the same organization as above. Many have dropped out - at this time
there are only 2 committers active[2] who don't work for that
organization, compared to 11 who do. Neither of the two independents
are active in the core project areas of Java SCA or SDO (they are
committing to the C++ implementation or to DAS).

Taking a quick sample of the mailing list, the only contributors to
the discussion thread on Graduation, which I would assume would have
been a hot topic, were from the vendor.

I think more work is needed to reduce the dependency on and influence
by a single corporate.
--
Jeremy

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/