incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ASF Web of Trust [was: Release Distribution Strategy]
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:56:04 GMT
Hi,

Some background on the web of trust (wot) that ASF uses for signers
of code releases is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust

You correctly point out that the icla is a binding document in which
the party signing the document grants certain intellectual property
rights to the ASF. The signature on this document is not verified to
be the signature of a real person. It could be anyone. But whoever
signed the document and commits code under the name in the document
is assumed to have the authority to do so.

The wot is a different thing. It grants no authority and has no
inherent rights. The only thing it attempts to guarantee is that the
real person who is in the wot is the person who is responsible for
signing the releases.

The primary way the Apache wot is increased is at signing parties
usually but not necessarily conducted during ApacheCons. A signing
party can be held any time as long as there are two people who want
to confirm each others' identity and add to the wot. At least one of
the people at the signing party is already a member of the wot. If
only one, then the wot created at the party is connected to the
Apache wot via one or more "strands of trust" (I made that up).

Craig