incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Diversity requirement
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:26:43 GMT
Hi,

On Oct 31, 2007, at 1:42 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Another thing that worries me a bit is projects coming in with a large
> (N=more than 3 or 5?) number of committers from the same organization,
> especially people who have no previous Apache or open source committer
> experience. Do we want to set a limit on N, to give the project more
> chances to reach the necessary diversity?
>
> -Bertrand

 From my perspective, having a large number of committers from one
organization with little Apache experience is an opportunity as much
as a potential problem. With one project, we can convert a large
number of folks to "the Apache Way".

I'd caution that such a project might take more conscientious
mentoring than other projects, but there's a large reward.

And I certainly wouldn't want to see an arbitrary cutoff of
prospective Apache committers just because of their affiliation.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!