incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Composer in the Incubator
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:08:23 GMT

On 22 Oct 07, at 2:14 AM 22 Oct 07, Leo Simons wrote:

> +1. Really happy to see this happen guys; I wish you all the best
> and I'm gonna try and track progress even if there's no chance I
> can find time to actually contribute...
>
> I hope the relative lack of controversy around this so far is
> carried all the way through successful graduation...looking at the
> list of participants I imagine incubation might go quite quickly :-)

Yes, I really see this as IP vetting, and planning on how to migrate
users. There's a lot of code, and we have a fair number of users. The
complete merger of the code will probably take some time, and it's
not necessary to do that in the incubator as it will take quite a
while to use a merged container in Maven. I imagine separate releases
of the containers will happen for a while as we release merged
versions for people to try. I think we'll be out of the incubator
very quickly relative to projects coming in with little or no open
source experience.

> On Oct 22, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> The proposal for Composer has been drafted here:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ComposerProposal
>>
>> As mentioned previously, both containers are heavily used, both
>> have always lived as open source projects. Plexus has 17 Apache
>> committers, Pico has 4 so most of the participants are already
>> familiar with projects here.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Accept Composer project for incubation
>> [ ] 0 Don't care
>> [ ] -1 Reject for the following reason :
>
> cheers,
>
> Leo Simons
> --
> http://www.leosimons.com/blog/