incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Diversity requirement
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:13:27 GMT

> Another thing that worries me a bit is projects coming in with a large
> (N=more than 3 or 5?) number of committers from the same organization,
> especially people who have no previous Apache or open source committer
> experience. Do we want to set a limit on N, to give the project more
> chances to reach the necessary diversity?

To be honest, I think this is not the major issue. I think the major issue
is if CorporateX pulls out of a project, can it survive. Now I admit, if
CorporateX has made 99% of commits, then its going to be hard. However, if
we explicitly try to *limit* participation in a project then we are doing
two things:
1. Discouraging involvement - the opposite of the aim of the incubator
2. Ruling out meritocracy - making it harder for some people to become
committers than others - the opposite of the aim of the ASF.

I think it is vital that we treat this issue with a wide perspective.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair