incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Marino <jmar...@myromatours.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2007 18:28:51 GMT

On Oct 21, 2007, at 10:52 AM, ant elder wrote:

>> independents?
>>
>>> If the bare minimum is the "3 legally independent committers" as
>>> defined
>> in
>>> the Incubator policy documents then Tuscany has more than the bare
>> minimum -
>>> and thats "active" committers.
>>
>> Can you compare those figures with Jeremy's statment:
>>
>>> at this time there are only 2 committers active[2] who don't work
>>> for
>>> that organization, compared to 11 who do. Neither of the two
>>> independents are active in the core project areas of Java SCA or SDO
>>> (they are committing to the C++ implementation or to DAS).
>>
>> and Simon Nash's:
>>
>>> In the last 2 months, 3 new committers have been added, one is in
>> progress
>>> as Paul has said, and one is being discussed.  Of these 5 people,
>>> one is
>>> IBM "day job" (me), one is IBM "non-day-job", and 3 are non-IBM.
>>
>> Simon seems to say three non-IBM and one IBM as a hobby, not day
>> job.  But
>> two of the five aren't committers *yet*.  Jeremy says two
>> indepdendents.
>> You're saying more than three.
>

> I think the breakdown is: current active committers are from IBM,
> RougeWave
> and two independents.
>
> I'm not sure exactly who does how many hours for a day job but i
> _think_ at
> least 3 of those IBM committers don't participate at all for their day
> jobs.
>
> Tuscany has 11 inactive committers (not contributed for months),
> from BEA,
> IBM, IONA and Redhat and two independents, I don't know if any of
> those will
> contribute again, last time i spoke to one of them they said they
> would but
> they were busy on other things just now.

Without getting involved in the rest of the discussions associated
with this thread, I do want to clarify one point...

About seven months ago, BEA decided to pursue an alternative
direction with the other active independents working on SCA at the
time when our goals diverged from others in the community. Speaking
for BEA, we made it clear on multiple occasions that while we wished
Tuscany success, given the divergent interests, we were satisfied
with our decision to participate elsewhere. It is unlikely we will
revisit this decision in the future.

Regards,
Jim