incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <p...@hammant.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Composer in the Incubator
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 02:43:46 GMT

>>> Yes. It's called knowledge and background.
>>>

>> What do you want to know? And I can provide any background you
>> feel people should know about.
>>
>> You can't honestly expect to gather a whole lot from a cheeky
>> remark uttered 4 years ago.
>>

> It's really not all that; I'm not sure what you're getting at.
> The proposal makes note of the fact that several people are Apache
> committers. Sometimes, people involved in Incubator podlings need
> to make tough choices and decisions (like whether to tank it
> or not should that ever happen), and so any background which
> is appropriate to that discussion should be brought up and out
> at the start, rather than it being a potential issue latter
> on.

Yup its true that I wrote that. It is mitigated somewhat in
successive sentences I think, and people (including Jim) that were
around at the time will remember that I took a stance between two
protagonists who were diametrically opposed on extension agenda for
Avalon. I tried to implore the group to search for common ground in
order to let the (ill fated) project go forward.  I did not agree
with the boards decision then, but respected its right to make that
decision.  Perhaps it was inappropriate to rake it over in a 'bio'
segment for myself.  Or perhaps it would have been more appropriate
to remove that reference years ago, when the event in question was
less important to me.  Thus the obvious conclusion - fix it now
(watch for changes).

Since that project schism, Inversion of Control (and its subset
Dependency Injection) have gone mainstream for Java - even Sun have
noticed ;-).  The fate of the idea is no longer dependent on harmony
of one project.

I'm four years older now and much more able to spot the early signs
of discord, and leverage better techniques for keeping all happy and
joined-up in a common direction.  Not that I'll be leading 'Apache
Composer' of course.

Regards,

- Paul