incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mike Edwards <mike.edwards.inglen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:56:22 GMT
Folks,

ant elder wrote:
<snip>

> Having both the last two sentences start "This software will..." doesn't
> sound perfect to me so if we are able to move the "for distribution at no
> charge..." bit up to the top that seems better, which gives:
>
> ...establish a Project Management Committee charged with the
> creation and maintenance of open-source software for distribution
> at no charge to the public, that simplifies the development,
> deployment and management of distributed applications composed of
> independently acting, loosely coupled, linguistically heterogeneous
> components connected using any of a wide range of communication
> technologies. This software will implement relevant open standards
> including, but not limited to, standards defined by the OASIS
> OpenCSA group.
>
> That first sentence is starting to get quite long but unless anyone can come
> up with some better wording I could live with that.
>
>    ...ant

I'm sorry, but I don't find this wording at all convincing.  I suspect
that most people would be mystified by the section:

"distributed applications composed of independently acting, loosely
coupled, linguistically heterogeneous components connected using any of
a wide range of communication technologies"

So, let me try another version, which turns out to be longer, but I hope
that it is easier to comprehend.  I also explicitly mention SCA and SDO
since these are two core standards that are implemented by Tuscany.

"...establish a Project Management Committee charged with the
creation and maintenance of open-source software for distribution
at no charge to the public, that simplifies the development,
deployment and management of distributed applications built as
compositions of service components, where the components may be written
using any of a wide range of programming languages and where the
components can be connected using any of a wide range of communication
technologies. This software will implement relevant open standards
including, but not limited to, the SCA and SDO standards defined by the
OASIS OpenCSA member section."

Yours,  Mike.