incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient, HttpComponents (was Jakarta)
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:03:48 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 08 October 2007 18:37, Steve Loughran wrote:
>> Any Java stack that does SOAP or REST should be using
>> HttpClient
>
> That seems to indicate that it should be a TLP in its own right.

you want that, you get my support.

> Besides WS, we have;
>  - Maven do the http client stuff... the naive version??
>  - Ivy would be in the same boat.
>  - Any XML parser and XSL transformer must be supporting externalizations.
> the list as you initiated will probably be long at exhaustive search.

gump shows some dependencies; a full walk of the m2 metadata will show
the rest

http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/httpcomponents/commons-httpclient/details.html

axis, ant-contrib, maven, jetty, wss4j, groovy. So not xerces or xalan.
Maybe they are hoping someone will fix java.net.HttpUrlConnection now it
is OSS/

> And if the charter is extended to http server side as well (without the
> servlet cruft ;o) ), we have a pretty immense project.

lovely servlet cruft. Much better than what sun builds in to java6.

I'd keep server side separate, but a rest-centric server side stack
(with no attempts to support WSDL) would be appealing, though restlets
exist for that purpose.

-steve