incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept project Buildr for incubation
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 03:13:59 GMT
On 10/29/07, Bruce Snyder <bruce.snyder@gmail.com> wrote:

> This sounds like Rake (http://rake.rubyforge.org/) to me. Is Buildr
> just a customized Rake? How is Buildr any different than Rake?

Buildr is Rake underneath, we started with Rake to handle all the task and
dependency management, works very well and no point re-inventing the wheel.

But using just Rake leads to a lot of boilerplate code.  Feeding classpath
dependencie to javac, downloading and installing artifacts, running JUnit
and producing test reports, packaging JARs and WARs, etc.

Instead you get a high level abstraction based on projects, pre-configured
tasks (like compile, test, package), and ad hoc tasks.  So Buildr takes care
of all the detail work that's identical across projects, and also adds a
large library of easy to use tasks.

Assaf

BTW, these are innocent questions for my own education. Please don't