incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Graduation: how do we check "three or more independent committers" ?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:12:48 GMT
Here is a quick initial definition.  I believe that it is the
committer's responsibility to properly state their affiliation.  For
instance, if a committer contributed to a project and it was approved
by their employer (company A)  but not actually part of their
immediate duties I wouldn't necessarily expect them to have to say I
am affiliated with Company A and they might identify themselves as
independent.  An underpinning of this definition is trust.

Affiliation:  For purposes of identifying a community's diversity and
independence it is useful to identify a committer's afiliation.  It
is useful to disclose to the community if a committer is working on a
project as part of their primary job responsibility.  This can be
loosely defined to mean paid to work on a project more than 4-hours a
day.  This affiliation can be used to identify a project that would
be in jeopardy should an organization that is supporting developers
should those developers time be redirected to unrelated efforts.