incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: The meta-data problem, redux -- call for help
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 02:40:13 GMT

> That is already part of the STATUS document.  The problem is that we have
> all sorts of data stored in way too many places, constantly getting out of
> synch.  This is an issue we really need to address, and I've asked for
> suggestions.

Sounds like a nifty little script could go a long way in automating a lot of
these checks and spot the discrepancies. I don't mind writing that but
what's unclear to me is which source is authoritative for which information.
Basically what we're interested in knowing is whether the project is
currently an active, retired or graduated podling and when it should report,
right?

For example the date of the first check-in of the project status document
could be used as reference and the reporting months be calculated from this.
Newly created podling could be detected from the content of the incubator
svn repository. I don't know what could help in finding out whether a
project is active or retired but I'm sure we can find something.

>From then we could either generate a short report or even update the wiki
automatically.

What do you think, would that be doable and would it help?

Cheers,
Matthieu

        --- Noel