incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator Proposal: Pig
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:17:01 GMT
Hey,

On 9/24/07, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > a) The name "Pig" is somewhat provocative (not kosher/halal) and I would like
> > to hear the rationale behind the name, and whether there are any willingness
> > to look for another name.
>
> It is not meant to be provocative.  It is named after the animal and is
> not an acronym.  It also provides a convenient name for the query
> language, "Pig Latin".  I'm sure that the developers would have some
> regret about changing the name, but if it were truly determined to be
> offensive then I believe there would be a willingness to change it.

As another Jewish person on the list, I don't find it the least bit
provocative.  It's a freakin' animal, that's all ;)

In fact, I'm a big fan of more fun names around here.  Succubus,
Imperius, Pig, all are great in my book.  I'm tried of four-letter
acronyms and packaging that's been through N layers of marketing
analysis ;)

Let's not do this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=36099539665548298

Yoav