incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The meta-data problem, redux -- call for help
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:48:11 GMT
Hey,

> > Would it make sense to add a started/graduated/retired projects list
> > to the report template?  That might make it easier to follow the
> > status transitions going on all the time.
>
> That is already part of the STATUS document.  The problem is that we have
> all sorts of data stored in way too many places, constantly getting out of
> synch.  This is an issue we really need to address, and I've asked for
> suggestions.

I tried adding the projects in advance for a whole year about a year
ago.  That backfired as Jukka noticed today, when he had to largely
updated my earlier work, which became outdated as projects move
around.  I was hoping projects or their mentors would take it upon
themselves to update references to themselves when they graduate or
retire.  That would decentralize maintenance.  But it doesn't seem to
be happening.

My main obstacle to helping maintain this metadata is the slowness of
the wiki.  I don't mind helping out, including for projects I don't
mentor or am otherwise involved with.  I do mind the 5-10+ second wait
on every wiki page save.  Can we do something more responsive?

Yoav