incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Does Incubator PMC chair need to update authorizations for Mentors?
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:09:03 GMT
Craig Russell asked:
> <projects/incubation-status-template.xml>
> Give all Mentors access to the incubator SVN repository.
> (to be done by PMC chair)
> </projects/incubation-status-template.xml>

That ought to mean adding them to the incubator-pmc acl in the
authorizations file.

> Seems to me that this is a task that can be done by a Mentor who has
> sufficient privileges. I don't want to bother the Incubator PMC chair
> unless really necessary.

The authorizations file has fairly limited access rights for obvious
reasons, but we have established that anyone who is BOTH on the Incubator
PMC AND ALSO has the necessary karma for the authorizations file (e.g., is
also an ASF VP for another project) is allowed to make changes on behalf
of the Incubator.  It isn't a matter of bothering me, it is matter of
avoiding making me a bottleneck in the process.  This policy is not unique
to, nor even invented by, the Incubator.  Other large projects whose PMC
has a number of other PMC chairs as active participants have done the
same.  We all see, and should be checking, the change notices, and they
should be sufficiently commented.

The canonical location of whom should be in the Incubator PMC ACL is the
committee-info.txt file, with the caveat that a new person may be on the
roster with a date up to 72 hours in the future, and thus shouldn't be in
the ACL until that date.  At the moment, Dave Johnson is in that window.

	--- Noel