incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: Export Notification - Using BouncyCastle in Tuscany Rel 1.0
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:18:33 GMT

On Sep 16, 2007, at 11:37 AM, ant elder wrote:

> On 9/16/07, Kevan Miller <> wrote:
> <snip>
> I don't see a an unencumbered BouncyCastle distribution which is not
>> encumbered.
> Is there any reason we can't just make one? The license seems ok
> for that:
> Is it just the one class
> in the
> bouncycastle jar that has the IDEA algorithm:
> org.bouncycastle.crypto.engines.IDEAEngine?
> If we use some jar processor such as the shade-maven-plugin to
> strip out
> that one class and create a new bcprov-no-idea-jdk15-136.jar and
> distribute
> that would that solve this problem? Could even try to get that new jar
> published in a repository somewhere so other projects can use it.

If you can do that, I think that effectively inhibits IDEA support in
BouncyCastle. FYI, this email contains some information about
inhibiting IDEA --

It seems that IDEAEngine is not the only class that requires
modification. There are also some signing issues if you are using JCE...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message