incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Incubator Proposal: SPL
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:25:24 GMT
Hi David,

Thanks for the clarifications.

On Sep 17, 2007, at 5:57 AM, David L Kaminsky wrote:

> On the standard itself, not surprisingly, the DMTF encourages
> implementations, and at submission, the DMTF requires this text:
>
> "Permission to copy, display, perform, modify and distribute the
> specification, and to authorize others to do the foregoing, in any
> medium
> without fee or royalty is hereby granted for the purpose of
> developing and
> evaluating the Specification.

But the intended use here is not "developing and evaluating" the
Specification, but implementing it. Is there a grant of license for
implementations?

> The Specification may be published as one or
> more separate documents including for example as ASCII formats,
> schema or
> metadata files rather than solely as a single document.
>
> "Co-Developers agree to grant a license to third parties, under
> royalty-free and otherwise reasonable, non-discriminatory terms and
> conditions, to their respective Essential Patent Rights (as that
> term is
> defined in the DMTF Patent and Technology Policy) that are
> necessary to
> implement the Specification in accordance with the DMTF Patent and
> Technology Policy."

This required grant of patent rights is a good indicator that
implementing the Specification doesn't get Apache into potential
trouble, but I'd still like to see an explicit statement regarding
the rights of independent implementations to use the IP contained in
the Specification itself.

Regards,

Craig

Craig Russell