incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Incubator Proposal: Pig
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:26:32 GMT
On 9/18/07, Lawrence Mandel <lmandel@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> >Is there any particular reason you want this podling to be sponsored
> >by the Incubator PMC (which is generally done for projects that intend
> >to turn into their own top level project)
>
> Is this true? I thought all new projects had to go through the incubator.
> Woden [1] is an incubator project that plans to graduate and join the WS
> PMC.
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/woden/

All projects need to go through the incubation process, but not all
are sponsored by the incubator PMC, many are sponsored by an existing
PMC outside the incubator.  I don't recall for sure, but I'd expect
that woden entered the incubator after being sponsored by the WS PMC
(at least, that's how things tend to work today if I understand
correctly, it's quite possible that woden predates that practice, I'm
really not sure).

-garrett