incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: svn commit: r574186 - /incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/sanselan.xml
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:41:49 GMT

On Sep 10, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Craig.Russell wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> cziegeler committed:

>>> Log: Add ip-clearance document for sanselan.
>>>
>>> [1] See also: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> My point was that the index needed to be updated, not just the content
> added.  It would be even better if the index were generated from
> the set
> of content.
>
> But actually, I wasn't paying quite enough attention, because as you
> noted:
>
>> I read the page [1] and it says that this is for existing projects.
>
> You are referring to:
>
>   This form is not for new projects. This is for projects and PMCs
>   that have already been created and are receiving a code donation
>   into an existing codebase. Any code that was developed outside of
>   the ASF SVN repository and our public mailing lists must be
>   processed like this, even if the external developer is already an
>   ASF committer.
>
> The wording is awkward.  The key is that the IP Clearance is a
> short-form
> for when a codebase is not going through Incubation, and is being
> cleared
> for immediate use within an existing ASF project.  For a new
> project, the
> Incubation STATUS document should be used.
>
> Key concept: the IP Clearance is supposed to be a subset of the
> Incubation
> STATUS document.

If I hear you correctly, the ip-clearance directory is *NOT* the
right location for the sanselan ip clearance. The sanselan ip-
clearance document should be removed to the normal incubator status
location.

And the ip-clearance index.html documentation should refer incubating
projects to the STATUS process.

If this is correct, I'll try to update the ip-clearance documentation.

Craig

> 	--- Noel

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com