incubator-general mailing list archives

From "ant elder" <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Export Notification - Using BouncyCastle in Tuscany Rel 1.0
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:59:27 GMT

> On Sep 14, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Venkata Krishnan wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are using Apache Rampart 1.3 to enable ws security into the ws-
> > binding-axis2 module for Apache Tuscany v1.0 which we hope to
> > release in a week.  Using Rampart seems to bring in the
> > Bouncycastle dependency for encryption functions.  I have followed
> > the instructions on http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#sources
> > and I have attached the patch in this mail to include Tuscany to
> > the matrix on http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/.  I have also
> > run the xsl and the generated mail sample is also attached in this
> > mail.
> >
> > Could somebody please help with reviewing and applying the patch.
> > Also, is there anything else to do with this other than the mention
> > on the Distro README which we will do.
>
> There was a discussion earlier this year about Tuscany, BouncyCastle,
> and a patented IDEA algorithm implemented by BouncyCastle -- http://
> mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200702.mbox/%
> 3c8044E00A-9746-4ECC-9104-F6AF96731FC5@yahoo.com%3e
>
> Here's some background information -- http://mail-archives.apache.org/
> mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200508.mbox/%3C1AB1C8BD-
> B886-43C3-8D54-47B558B6DD66@apache.org%3E
>
> Did the Tuscany project reach a decision about the patented IDEA
> algorithm in BouncyCastle?

That previous discussion was about including a JXTA dependency, for this one
I think we're just following what we've seen other Apache projects that
support ws-security are doing, so I guess we were assuming was ok. Are you
saying its not ok to distribute the BouncyCastle jar (and if so then is the
Geronimo jar a drop in replacement)?

   ...ant