incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Does Incubator PMC chair need to update authorizations for Mentors?
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:47:44 GMT
Hi Noel,

On Sep 12, 2007, at 2:09 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Craig Russell asked:
>> <projects/incubation-status-template.xml>
>> Give all Mentors access to the incubator SVN repository.
>> (to be done by PMC chair)
>> </projects/incubation-status-template.xml>
>
> That ought to mean adding them to the incubator-pmc acl in the
> authorizations file.

Ah, I read this as giving permission to access the specific
incubating project's svn repo by adding them to the incubating
project's specific section of the acl. The Mentors are already in
incubator-pmc IIUC.

>> Seems to me that this is a task that can be done by a Mentor who has
>> sufficient privileges. I don't want to bother the Incubator PMC chair
>> unless really necessary.
>
> The authorizations file has fairly limited access rights for obvious
> reasons, but we have established that anyone who is BOTH on the
> Incubator
> PMC AND ALSO has the necessary karma for the authorizations file
> (e.g., is
> also an ASF VP for another project) is allowed to make changes on
> behalf
> of the Incubator.

I've made a minor update to the template file projects/incubation-
status-template.xml for future reference.

> It isn't a matter of bothering me, it is matter of
> avoiding making me a bottleneck in the process.

Cool. Thanks,

Craig

> This policy is not unique
> to, nor even invented by, the Incubator.  Other large projects
> whose PMC
> has a number of other PMC chairs as active participants have done the
> same.  We all see, and should be checking, the change notices, and
> they
> should be sufficiently commented.
>
> The canonical location of whom should be in the Incubator PMC ACL
> is the
> committee-info.txt file, with the caveat that a new person may be
> on the
> roster with a date up to 72 hours in the future, and thus shouldn't
> be in
> the ACL until that date.  At the moment, Dave Johnson is in that
> window.
>
> 	--- Noel

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com