incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] JSPWiki
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:20:20 GMT

On 9/6/07, Martin Cooper <> wrote:
> As a concrete example, look at Axis. At some point in its lifetime, WSDL4J
> was added to the distribution, and that's licensed under the CPL. Someone
> coming in and looking at Axis might reasonably assume that it's licensed
> under the Apache License, and not be aware that there's another license
> hiding in there. If that someone was a company (e.g. my employer) that
> forbids the use of CPL-licensed software, that can have very serious
> consequences, especially if the package was already in use before the
> dependency was introduced.

Exactly, see [1] for a real case where this dependency caused a problem.

I personally don't see a problem in having CPL or other Class B
dependencies, but it would be good to include prominent notices on
projects that have them. Perhaps I'll follow up on legal-discuss on
the details.

In any case I'm with Garrett on not holding JSPWiki up to a standard
that we don't properly document or even follow in all cases.

Jukka Zitting

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message