incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Field of use constraint on OSOA license?
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2007 03:59:53 GMT
Hello Jeremy,

Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> The recent Tuscany distribution contains XSDs licensed under the OSOA
> license[1] which contains the following:
> "Permission to copy, make derivative works of, and distribute the
> Service Component Architecture
> JavaDoc, Interface Definition Files and XSD files in any medium without
> fee or royalty as part
> of a compliant implementation of the Service Component Architecture
> Specification is hereby granted."
>
> Is the restriction to a "compliant implementation" a field of use
> constraint that Tuscany project should be concerned about?

No, AFAICT. Every JSR has the same restriction for compliant
implementations. A Field of Use restriction would be "not in
embedded devices". I'm not sure how this is handled until
you've reached the point where the implementation passes the
testcases to become a compliant implementation. But I've
never heard of problems with that stipulation either.

cheers,
  Roland