incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator Proposal: Pig
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:35:43 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> In other words, if the corporate support
> of the project or podling went away, would they stop
> developing and working on the codebase because they,
> after all, had no allegiance in the code at all? Were
> they, in effect, coders-for-hire?

Yes, this is a known risk, perhaps the largest risk for Pig's
incubation.  We must develop a diverse developer community so the
project can survive the departure of any employer or individual.  Yahoo!
is aware of this, and seeks non-Yahoo! developers.  This is the primary
motivation to incubate.  If Yahoo! wished to develop Pig alone, then it
could simply continue to distribute it under a BSD license.

And, yes, some developers may stop contributing when they change
employment.  But, in my experience, many others will be hired
specifically for their experience with an Apache project.  I see more
careers built around Apache experience than short-term coders-for-hire.
  Today Yahoo! is hiring folks to work on Pig.  Soon, hopefully, other
companies will do so as well, if they're not already.  There's no shame
in being paid to work on Apache projects, is there?

Doug