incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator Proposal: Pig
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:13:38 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Is there any particular reason you want this podling to be sponsored
> by the Incubator PMC (which is generally done for projects that intend
> to turn into their own top level project) rather than having it
> sponsored by the Lucene PMC (where Hadoop currently resides)?  It
> seems to me that the close relationship between Pig and Hadoop implies
> that they very well might best be served under the same roof.

The existing contributor base is largely disjoint from the Hadoop
contributor base, and they expect that to mostly remain the case.
Nigel, Owen & I, Hadoop committers, will mostly just help the Pig crew
out with Apache ways, and don't expect to become significant
contributors to Pig.  Pig builds on Hadoop, and the communities may
overlap a bit, but, to the primary folks involved, it feels like a
separate community and they'd prefer to aim for a TLP.

Doug