incubator-general mailing list archives

From "t.peng.dev" <t.peng....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blue Sky Distance Collaboration System_Proposal Draft
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2007 02:20:57 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>> This is probably a big issue, and you will most likely need to work
>>> away from this dependency.
>>>

> We wouldn't consider incubating BSDC unless the authors intended to either
> reimplement FFMpeg or find an alternate implementation that was BSD/AL
> licensed.
>
> Hard dependencies to GPL projects still have viral implications.  Hard
> dependencies to LGPL projects can sometimes be an issue.
>
> Soft dependencies (e.g. and optional feature that isn't required to have
> a useful deployment of BSDC for example) on LGPL is always OK, as well as
> some GPL-with-exception licenses such as MySQL's exception clause.  Again,
> only as a soft dependency.  Soft dependencies on GPL-without-exception code
> can be viral and have to be considered on a case-by-case basis.
>
> Harmony, for example, had such a problem entering the incubator.  By their
> commitment to work around the GPL'ed classpath dependencies, they were
> given leave to enter incubation and solve the dependency.
>
> About FFmpeg from wikipedia;
>
>   FFmpeg is developed under Linux, but it can be compiled under most operating
>   systems, including Microsoft Windows. There are no formal releases. Instead,
>   FFmpeg developers recommend using the latest Subversion snapshot as
>   development maintains a constantly stable trunk. Released under the GNU Lesser
>   General Public License or GNU General Public License (depending on which
>   sub-libraries one would include), FFmpeg is free software.
>
> apparently there is a subset (a sufficient subset?) that does fall under LGPL.
>
> How does the BSDCS crew feel about the 'soft target' of not having specific
> releases of FFmpeg to target?  As we don't provide LGPL code from our servers
> (AFAIK) it might be hard to direct users to a recommended version, no?
>
> Bill

According to official web site of ffmpeg,
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/faq.html#TOC9
only when |/liba52/ component is compiled in ffmpeg, it is licensed
under GPL, otherwise
its license is LGPL.

In BSDCS, /liba52 /is not used. So, BSDCS has hard dependencies on LGPL
version of ffmpeg.
And we can give document on how to compile LGPL version of ffmpeg.

If these things are done, does BSDCS fit ASF requirements?

--

	Best regards!

Ting Peng (t.peng.dev@gmail.com)
XJTU-IBM Open Tech. R&D Center