incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: How strict should podling release reviews be?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:02:18 GMT
On Friday 28 September 2007 17:12, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> On 9/28/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> > What we care about is that podlings get the "legal stuff" right, and
> > letting releases out without this being ok is not an option, due to
> > potential legal risks.
>
> I thought projects in incubator were not endorsed by the ASF, hence
> the ASF could not be responsible for the legal stuff in podling
> releases...  Did I miss something here ?

Yes, you missed the fact that Incubator is part of ASF, and the Incubator are
doing the releases on behalf of the podling.
AFAIUI, we are responsible of the legal aspects of the releases (i.e. upstream
sources), but we have no practical responsibilities towards the downstream
users.

If the Incubator was not part of ASF, then that would be a different story...
And I think the original intent was to come into that effect, but the legal
reality is different.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer