incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve release CXF 2.0.2-incubator
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:00:34 GMT

On Sep 11, 2007, at 6:34 AM, Dan Diephouse wrote:

> We held a vote on cxf-dev to release a new version of CXF. This
> version includes mosltly bug fixes since the 2.0.1 release. For a
> full list of the issues, see:

> version=12312672&styleName=Html&projectId=12310511&Create=Create
>
> The vote thread is at: http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--Release-
> CXF-2.0.2-incubator-tf4403518.html
>
> In summary, we have 11 +1 votes,  no 0 or -1 votes.  One of these
> is an IPMC vote from Jeff Genender.
>
> The staging area is at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.2-incubator-take1/
>
> The distributions are in the "dist" directory.
> The "m2_repo" directory contains the stuff that will by pushed
> to the m2-incubating-repository.
>
> This release is tagged at: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
> incubator/cxf/tags/cxf-2.0.2-incubator/
>
> We and our users appreciate you taking the time to look over this
> release!

Looks like I should have asked this question for your 2.0 and 2.0.1
releases. Apologies for bringing it up now...

I'm guessing that you're using the maven-remote-resources-plugin to
help generate your NOTICE files. I've noticed other projects using
the plugin and their notice files follow a similar form. I've just
started looking at the plugin for possible use in Geronimo and
OpenEJB, probably the reason I noticed...

My question is: is your NOTICE file correct? I don't think it is. I
don't think that it follows the requirements of the licenses of the
artifacts which you are redistributing...

Section 4(d) of the apache license says that any derivative work of
an apache licensed product must include a readable copy of the
attribution notices contained within the NOTICE file of the product.
You are redistributing multiple apache licensed artifacts. However,
you aren't reproducing their attribution notices. Instead,
attributions of the following form have been generated: "This product
includes/uses software, <name of software>, developed by <name of
project> License: <name of license>"

Case in point (taken at random from your lib directory) is lib/
xbean-2.2.0.jar. This is your XMLBeans attribution in your NOTICE file:

This product includes/uses software, XMLBeans main classes (http://
xmlbeans.apache.org),
developed by Apache Software Foundation  (http://www.apache.org/)
License: The Apache Software License, Version 2.0  (http://
www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt)

However, this is the NOTICE.txt file contained within xbean-2.2.0.jar:

    This product includes software developed by

    Portions of this software were originally based on the following:
      - software copyright (c) 2000-2003, BEA Systems, <http://
www.bea.com/>.

    Aside from contributions to the Apache XMLBeans project, this
    software also includes:

     - one or more source files from the Apache Xerces-J and Apache Axis
       products, Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Apache Software Foundation

     - W3C XML Schema documents Copyright 2001-2003 (c) World Wide Web
       Consortium (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, European
Research
       Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University)

     - resolver.jar from Apache Xml Commons project,
       Copyright (c) 2001-2003 Apache Software Foundation

     - Piccolo XML Parser for Java from http://piccolo.sourceforge.net/,
       Copyright 2002 Yuval Oren under the terms of the Apache
Software License 2.0

     - JSR-173 Streaming API for XML from http://sourceforge.net/
projects/xmlpullparser/,
       Copyright 2005 BEA under the terms of the Apache Software
License 2.0

You can decide that some of these attributions do not apply to CXF.
However, IMO some of them do. And these need to be reproduced in your
NOTICE file. I suspect this applies to other artifacts that your are
including.

NB: this is my understanding of the requirements for the handling of
NOTICE files. Suggest you draw on the expertise of incubating
experts, before acting...

--kevan