incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject All licenses in a single file [WAS: Re: [VOTE] Publish the Woden M7b release]
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:51:10 GMT
On 7/31/07, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 from me.
>
> Some of the same comments on the previous M7a release still apply, eg, its
> preferred to have a separate DISCLAIMER file, having all licenses in a
> single LICENSE file, and have src and binary distro's unpack into
> different
> folders.

Actually I was wondering about this recommendation of having all (non ASL)
license files for dependencies in a *single* LICENSE file. It seems to me
that it's a maintenance nightmare when you have a lot of dependencies (very
long file, you have to do a search to find anything, checking what could be
missing takes a looong time). I'd rather have all the specific licenses each
in there file reproduced side by side with the library the license is
applied on (with similar namings, i.e. dom4j-1.3.LICENSE) and a simple
pointer in the main LICENSE file ("licenses for each dependency library are
reproduced in the lib directory along with the library").

So is there a legal justification behind this that I missed? And sorry if
I'm rehashing a subject that has already been discussed in the past :)

Matthieu

   ...ant