incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Software grant for CXF
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:19:43 GMT
On 7/25/07, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> On Wednesday 25 July 2007 13:48, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> > > The question is how to get it into CXF.   The thought was that this
> > > would basically be a software grant
> > > (http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants) which is the direction
> > > Benson has started going (getting the CLA and grant forms approved
> > > by their lawyers and such).
> >
> > a software grant sounds like the way to go

> > in this case, though, the project accepting the grant is also the
> > incubator so this complicates things just a little. the actual
> > processing needs to be done by a member or officer. create a patch in
> > JIRA containing the appropriate completed template then ask a member
> > (for example, an appropriate mentor or ask for a volunteer here) to
> > commit it here and post the appropriate notice.
>
> Pardon me for being daft...   This is the first time I've really had to
> work through a software grant.....

not a problem

> The software-grant.txt file requires a signature.   Thus, I assume that
> requires it to be faxed in and cannot just be attached to a JIRA.
> Would that go to the same fax number as the CLA's?   If not, is there a
> better fax number?

the first job is to complete the software grant. the signature on the
grant needs to match the artifact that will be initially dropped into
subversion (so that a copy exists). this is sent by the person making
the grant to the apache secretary (through one of the approved means).

the second job is to complete the IP clearance form so that a public
record exists of the grant. usually, this will usually be done by the
chair of the project (or occasionally, by a member).

however, since this is the incubator the chair shouldn't really take
the lead. someone in the podling needs to complete the IP clearance
form and create an incubator JIRA containing it then ask a member to
submit it.

- robert