incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Software grant for CXF
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:48:12 GMT
On 7/25/07, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> Basis Technology has some very interesting javascript stuff that they'd
> like to contribute to Apache CXF.   The CXF folks definitely think it's
> a good idea and have some neat ideas to make it integrate even better.

cool

> The question is how to get it into CXF.   The thought was that this would
> basically be a software grant (http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants)
> which is the direction Benson has started going (getting the CLA and
> grant forms approved by their lawyers and such).

a software grant sounds like the way to go

> I assume the IPMC needs to accept this course of action as well as accept
> the grant.      Is this something that needs a vote or, if the forms are
> all sent OK, something that can be done via lazy consensus?

IP clearance is by lazy consensus. the IPMC is responsible only for
ensuring that the forms are filled in ok. the decisions are taken by
the project.

in this case, though, the project accepting the grant is also the
incubator so this complicates things just a little. the actual
processing needs to be done by a member or officer. create a patch in
JIRA containing the appropriate completed template then ask a member
(for example, an appropriate mentor or ask for a volunteer here) to
commit it here and post the appropriate notice.

> The other option is to attach it to a JIRA with the "assign to ASF" thing
> checked, but I personally think this falls much more into the grant
> category.   (They did create the JIRA issue
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-812 with an initial cut of the
> code for us to review.   They specifically did NOT check the ASF button
> until the legal issue is worked out.)

it's sort of okish that way but software grants are cleaner and
clearer for everyone

- robert