incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Incubator Proposal: Sanselan - a java image library
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:04:41 GMT
Hey,

On 7/27/07, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> together with Charles M. Chen I came up with a proposal to move the
> great open source java image library, Sanselan, to Apache.
>
> You'll find all the details here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SanselanProposal
>
> Now, currently we are looking for interested parties, especially for
> mentors and a sponsoring project, perhaps commons would be a good place
> for sanselan?

+1.  I like the effort in general, and I'd be willing to help if you
need a mentor.

As for what existing Apache project Sanselan would go into, I'm not
sure.  Commons is an option, since Sanselan is a component to be used
by other applications, not its own stand-alone thing, and image
processing is a common requirement.

The questions about Java ImageIO and/or FOP and/or Batik interactions
are interesting, but not critical IMHO.  We don't limit ourselves to
only one project in one area.  It's nice to chat and coordinate where
possible, but neither Sanselan nor other projects need to kill
themselves to comply with someone else's API.

Yoav