incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Discuss: Package Naming for Incubator Release of River
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:16:33 GMT
On Jul 23, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 7/23/07, Jim Hurley <Jim.Hurley@sun.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 22, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Ted Husted wrote:
>> > IMHO, unless there are trademark or licensing issues involved,
>> :
>>
>> I don't believe there are issues involved - Sun filed a Software
>> Grant
>> to contribute the code to the Foundation.
>
> does the grant cover trademarks?
>
> - robert

IANAL, so I can't definitively say if things are covered.  My assumption
is that the Software Grant (for the Foundation accepting code
contributions)
would be sufficient legally to allow Apache projects to use and advance
the code contributed.  If it's not, someone will need to explicitly
articulate
the issue.

Thanks to all that responded to this thread.  Otherwise, I think we
(River project)
have the guidance we need to define our roadmap forward.

-Jim