incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: All licenses in a single file [WAS: Re: [VOTE] Publish the Woden M7b release]
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:17:13 GMT
I like the idea of the license maven artifact. It takes quite some
effort in determining the actual license of any dependency (I've been
on a license hunt myself several times). Having the license published
in the repository next to the (jar) artifact (and included in the
artifacts META-INF folder) sounds like a great way to make the
licensing issues much more clear.

Martijn

> I must agree about the nightmare.
> Including separate files is much easier and could be automated by
> maven or any other build tool much more easily...
>
> On 7/31/07, Matthieu Riou <matthieu.riou@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/31/07, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 from me.
> > >
> > > Some of the same comments on the previous M7a release still apply, eg, its
> > > preferred to have a separate DISCLAIMER file, having all licenses in a
> > > single LICENSE file, and have src and binary distro's unpack into
> > > different
> > > folders.
> >

> > Actually I was wondering about this recommendation of having all (non ASL)
> > license files for dependencies in a *single* LICENSE file. It seems to me
> > that it's a maintenance nightmare when you have a lot of dependencies (very
> > long file, you have to do a search to find anything, checking what could be
> > missing takes a looong time). I'd rather have all the specific licenses each
> > in there file reproduced side by side with the library the license is
> > applied on (with similar namings, i.e. dom4j-1.3.LICENSE) and a simple
> > pointer in the main LICENSE file ("licenses for each dependency library are
> > reproduced in the lib directory along with the library").
> >
> > So is there a legal justification behind this that I missed? And sorry if
> > I'm rehashing a subject that has already been discussed in the past :)
> >
> > Matthieu
> >
> >    ...ant

> > > 19th

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet

Wicket joins the Apache Software Foundation as Apache Wicket
Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta2 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta2/