incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [proposal] Create new guide: first steps outside the incubator
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:17:08 GMT
Hi Martijn,

On Jul 17, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> On 7/16/07, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> there's an argument that this material would be better in the main
>> apache site. i recommend checking with community.
>
> Hmm, the transferring resources and establishing a tlp is not
> something that happens often in the community aiui. If it is, then we
> need a creating tlp guide in community, and refer to that from the
> graduation guide. There really is no need to keep repeating ourselves
> :-)
>
> Given the following usecases:
> - graduate from incubator to sub project
> - graduate from incubator to tlp
> - become tlp from existing sub project
> - change Chair
>
> there is quite an overlap between the usecases.

The biggest overlap I see is:
- graduate from incubator to tlp
- become tlp from existing sub project
because there is a new chair, mail lists must migrate, new web site,
new PMC, remove traces of project from old location. But still, I'd
think that if we got it right in the incubator docs, then the
community docs might just reference the incubator docs.

> I do think that the community docs could need an overhaul, because
> there's a lot of duplication, at least when I was trying to upload a
> release to the mirroring system. I doubt it is any different in other
> subjects.
>
> Given that I'm currently only able to act on the incubator docs, I'd
> like to change those first (one battle at a time).

And I'd encourage you to play where you are allowed to bring sand. ;-)

Craig