incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Discuss: Package Naming for Incubator Release of River
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:34:39 GMT
Hi Niclas,

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2007 03:14, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>> On 7/22/07, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>>> Last Incubating release - the com.sun.jini classes are the wrappers to
>>> the org.apache.river classes.
>> At that point (I don't see a necessity for the previous steps, btw, it
>> only complicates things, IMO) I'd also recommend to distribute the
>> com.sun.* classes in a separate jar file.
>
> "previous step" refering to that, or the wrapping the other way around?
>
> What I wanted to communicate was that "wrap com.sun" with "org.apache" classes
> sounds like a very simple step, but I also wrote "optionally" since it might
> be just as easy to do the other way around. The intent is to give the tools
> vendors a window where both the org.apache and com.sun classes will work
> interchangably. Suggestions of retroweaving and other techniques is up to the
> River team to decide.
>
> Ted,
> I agree that the PMC is ultimately responsible for choosing what works for
> them. And right now, that is the Incubator PMC, hence Dan's question here.
> Now, the people behind River has discussed this issue a lot prior to entering
> the incubator, and IIRC the conclusion was that most users only references
> the net.jini classes, and they will therefor be kept. They denote the APIs.
> Dan's request now is mostly about a handful of tools developers, who has some
> headaches to deal with if the package names change overnight. And *I* think a
> staged approach is probably acceptable to all involved parties.
>

> Dan,
> I realize that my suggestion may cause serialization problems, but i have not
> enough insight in the internals of Jini 2.0 to be definite on that topic. I
> am sure you are able to figure these things out. End of the day, there are
> no "rules", only weak "guidelines" and as Sanjiva and others illustrate there
> are many opinions on the topic. I think the only reasonable solution for
> *you* is to make it work technically, with an ambition(!) of having the
> com.sun classes replaced, which may not be feasible, then act accordingly.

Yep you're right there might be some issues in respect of serialization
etc. I'm confident that we can find a workable starting point given the
flexibility available re: naming as covered by you and others in this
thread.  The staged plan you suggest is exactly the sort of thing I'd
been considering - great minds....

Thanks for the considered response and guidance - much appreciated.

Dan.