incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Discuss: Package Naming for Incubator Release of River
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:32:53 GMT
I disagree .. and we've had this conversation here before; with ActiveMQ
IIRC. Org.apache.* is a way to let the programmer know that they're using
an Apache product and IMO its important to make that transition as part of
incubation.

I'm +1 to the staged model Niclas proposed.

Sanjiva.

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Ted Husted wrote:
>> IMHO, unless there are trademark or licensing issues involved, there
>> should be no "Apache rules" about Java package naming schemes. Package
>> names are an arbitrary implementation detail, and the one and only
>> concern should be what makes the most sense to the individual
>> community. When it comes to implementation details, the controlling
>> "Apache rule" should be that "The PMC as a whole is the entity that
>> controls the project, nobody else."
>
> There are rules, and then again there are guidelines.  I don't think that
> a generic statement about packaging conventions is a bad thing to help
> projects new to the incubator.
>
> Adding a statement something along the lines of what you wrote above would
> be a good thing, so that PMC's know they have flexibility beyond the guidelines.
>
> Bill

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.