incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Incubator new committer redux
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 23:08:30 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Saturday 30 June 2007 17:56, Craig L Russell wrote:
>> The thread has died down with no consensus, so I'm going to try again.
>>
>> Regarding how a Podling can get a "new to Apache" committer. First,
>> the rules:
>>
>> 1. Only the Incubator PMC can vote in a new committer, with three +1
>> and no -1 votes recorded.
>
> I thought -1 votes are only vetos on code modification votes:
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
>
> "Votes on procedural issues follow the common format of majority rule
> unless otherwise stated. That is, if there are more favourable votes
> than unfavourable ones, the issue is considered to have passed --
> regardless of the number of votes in each category."
>
> I'd definitely prefer not having "vetos" on committer votes.   Not that I
> ever expect this to happen, but if a particular IPMC person has an
> EXTREME dislike for a potential committer, with a VETO vote, they could
> block an otherwise good contributor.

See http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html under "Voting" for the
grandaddy of all ASF references on this subject.

Only code commits and nominations at httpd require consensus.  But we just
don't have people voting against a nominee for no reason.  At my projects,
we WANT more help, only we want to know that help doesn't create more work
for us than we conserve.

So NO votes are reserved for nominees who just haven't demonstrated that
they can affirmatively participate, or those who have created chaos in their
other lives at other projects.  They are very few and far between.

Usually, it's "Joe isn't ready, just yet" and the name is floated again in
a few months, if Joe has remained active and productive.

> That, and votes in the IPMC/Incutabor should be the same as votes
> elsewhere in Apache.   If -1 aren't veto's elsewhere, they shouldn't be
> here either.

They are, at httpd, for PMC members and committers.

Bill