incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Discuss: Package Naming for Incubator Release of River
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:26:08 GMT
On Monday 23 July 2007 03:14, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 7/22/07, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> > Last Incubating release - the com.sun.jini classes are the wrappers to
> > the org.apache.river classes.
>
> At that point (I don't see a necessity for the previous steps, btw, it
> only complicates things, IMO) I'd also recommend to distribute the
> com.sun.* classes in a separate jar file.

"previous step" refering to that, or the wrapping the other way around?

What I wanted to communicate was that "wrap com.sun" with "org.apache" classes
sounds like a very simple step, but I also wrote "optionally" since it might
be just as easy to do the other way around. The intent is to give the tools
vendors a window where both the org.apache and com.sun classes will work
interchangably. Suggestions of retroweaving and other techniques is up to the
River team to decide.

Ted,
I agree that the PMC is ultimately responsible for choosing what works for
them. And right now, that is the Incubator PMC, hence Dan's question here.
Now, the people behind River has discussed this issue a lot prior to entering
the incubator, and IIRC the conclusion was that most users only references
the net.jini classes, and they will therefor be kept. They denote the APIs.
Dan's request now is mostly about a handful of tools developers, who has some
headaches to deal with if the package names change overnight. And *I* think a
staged approach is probably acceptable to all involved parties.

Dan,
I realize that my suggestion may cause serialization problems, but i have not
enough insight in the internals of Jini 2.0 to be definite on that topic. I
am sure you are able to figure these things out. End of the day, there are
no "rules", only weak "guidelines" and as Sanjiva and others illustrate there
are many opinions on the topic. I think the only reasonable solution for
*you* is to make it work technically, with an ambition(!) of having the
com.sun classes replaced, which may not be feasible, then act accordingly.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er