incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Discuss: Package Naming for Incubator Release of River
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:14:55 GMT
On Sunday 22 July 2007 17:52, Dan Creswell wrote:
> We would appreciate some clarification in respect of the above and some
> guidance on what the minimum requirements might be.  For example would
> it be acceptable to create a compatibility layer and thus, for at least
> this first release, have both com.sun and org.apache namespaces present
> in our codebase and release?  This would allow our users some time to
> transition smoothly to the new package namespace.

IMHO, yes transitional solutions are acceptable, and possibly even preferable.

*I* would like to see;

First Incubating Release - current package names.

Then (optionally) - compatibility layer where org.apache.river wraps the
                    com.sun.jini classes.

Last Incubating release - the com.sun.jini classes are the wrappers to the
                          org.apache.river classes.

First Full Apache release - only org.apache.river classes.

And I also think there is no contention about keeping the net.jini API classes
as-is, without package name changes, which is what the majority of the Jini
users actually refers to.

Would that work?

Cheers
Niclas