incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: All licenses in a single file [WAS: Re: [VOTE] Publish the Woden M7b release]
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:56:55 GMT
On 7/31/07, Matthieu Riou <matthieu.riou@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/31/07, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > +1 from me.
> >
> > Some of the same comments on the previous M7a release still apply, eg,
> its
> > preferred to have a separate DISCLAIMER file, having all licenses in a
> > single LICENSE file, and have src and binary distro's unpack into
> > different
> > folders.
>

> Actually I was wondering about this recommendation of having all (non ASL)
> license files for dependencies in a *single* LICENSE file. It seems to me
> that it's a maintenance nightmare when you have a lot of dependencies
> (very
> long file, you have to do a search to find anything, checking what could
> be
> missing takes a looong time). I'd rather have all the specific licenses
> each
> in there file reproduced side by side with the library the license is
> applied on (with similar namings, i.e. dom4j-1.3.LICENSE) and a simple
> pointer in the main LICENSE file

http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new

"you should append their license(s) to the LICENSE file at the top of the
distribution, or at least put a pointer in the LICENSE file to the
third-party license"

The second part of this should meet your needs. Yes, you still have to have
a pointer in the LICENSE file to each license, but you're not going to get
out of that without a lengthy discussion with the ASF legal team, if then.

("licenses for each dependency library are
> reproduced in the lib directory along with the library").

That's not viable. As Niclas suggested, the target of all this is lawyers.
They can't be expected to dig around in the distribution to find all the
relevant licenses, and a clause such as you suggest gives no definitive
means of determining whether or not all the relevant licenses have in fact
been discovered.

--
Martin Cooper

So is there a legal justification behind this that I missed? And sorry if