incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Podling wiki access rights
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:39:10 GMT
On 6/14/07, Luciano Resende <lresende@apache.org> wrote:

> Currently, Apache Tuscany is using a Confluence wiki [1] as the source
> of contents for its website [2], and I was wondering if there is a
> policy that states that the podling website needs to have restricted
> access to only committers (meaning the wiki should only be editable by
> committers).

i'm not sure that policy is required: just an understanding and application
of the usual apache process

documentation is as important as code. both are source and the same rules
apply. provenance needs to be established and oversight maintained.

a CLA is required for cover substantial contributions for source. therefore
wiki karma must only be granted those with a CLA.

IMO a committer is essentially a developer with a CLA who has project karma.
so, i argue that this definition includes all of those who should have wiki
access.

I also looked at some podlings that are using a wiki as the content
> source for their website, and I could not find a consistent ACL
> configuration, where some have restrictions and some don't, that's why
> I want to get some advice and thoughts from you guys.

thanks :-)

sounds like we need to think about this a little deeper

IMO the issue of committer friction is something that needs to be address
sooner or later by apache but maybe i'll blog my opinions on this since they
may be drifting OT...

- robert